Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

We have offices in Kennewick and Spokane, Washington. Agile Elder Law serves all of Eastern Washington and North Idaho. Contact us today to see how we can help you and your family!

What does an elder law attorney do?

Elder Law refers to areas law that often concern elderly and disabled persons. These areas of law include: - estate planning - asset protection - long-term care planning (including VA planning and Medicaid planning) - probate and estate administraiton - trusts - guardianship - protection orders - and more. Elder Law is recognized as it's own specialty becuase of the intricacies of these issues.

What areas of law do you practice?

Our firm serves clients in following areas: Estate Planning Asset Protection Long-term Care planning VA planning Medicaid planning Wills Living Trusts Special Needs Trusts Probate and Estate Administration Probate Avoidance Powers of Attorney

Is elder law only for elderly people?

Definitely not! Elder law attorneys provide the kind of estate planning that can benefit people of all ages. Such estate planning often includes protections for spouses and disabled children. If done properly, your estate plan won't need to be changed later. This is especially important if unforeseen events happen - such as an injury or illness. Everyone can benefit from the services of an elder law attorney.

What is estate planning?

An estate plan refers to a set of documents that help you control what happens if you become incapacitated or pass away. This means having more than just a will or a trust. Estate planning lets you choose who will help you if you're sick or injured and determine who will take care of your minor or disabled children if you can't. Planning ahead is more than just deciding where your property will go when you die. An estate plan should include (at minimum) a will or trust (or both), powers of attorney for finances and health care, a health care directive, and beneficiary designations for your financial accounts and life insurance. Your estate plan should be designed with your situation and family in mind - it's not a one-size-fits-all package. Contact us today for a free consulation with an attorney to determine what options work best for you.

How can I pay for long-term care?

Long-term care, whether at home or in a facility (adult family home, assisted living facility, skilled nursing facility, or hospital/rehab), is expensive. So how do you pay for it? There are many options available to people who need care. You can use your own savings, income, and resources. If that isn't an option for you, such as if you have a spouse or disabled child who needs those resources for themselves, you may want to consider other options. These options inlclude long-term care insurance, VA benefits, or Medicaid benefits. Though VA benefits and Medicaid benefits have resource requirements, an elder law attorney can often help you to preserve at least some of your assets and still qualify for assistance. Contact us today to find out more about asset preservation strategies.

Is it too late to protect assets once I need care?

No. It is never too late to protect at least some of your assets. Many times we can protect half or even all of your assets, even if you or your spouse already needs longterm care. Contact our office today to discuss what strategies are available to you.

What is asset protection?

Asset protection is utilizing legal strategies to preserve your property and money in the face of death, long-term care costs, or other threats to your assets. It is never too early to plan for asset protection and it is never too late to take advantage of the strategies available to you when you need care.